Idli is a South Indian savory cake popular throughout India. Soft idlis can be made in 2 ways, one by using rice and lentil and another is by using rava. Making idli rava is more convenient as it doesn’t need to grind the rice and lentil to prepare the batter. I’m so fond of sambar idli and will be sharing sambar recipe very soon. This idli recipe is quite easy and very less ingredients are required to make this soft spongy idlis in microwave.
Let’s get started:
1 cup sooji (240ml)
- 2 tsp Eno
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- Pinch of salt
- Water by consistency
- 8-9 Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Lemon drops
Preparation of batter:
- Take a bowl with a cup of semolina. Add salt, red chilli powder, 2 tbsp of yogurt and lemon drops to it.
- Mix it well till lumps disappear. For proper consistency pour water little by little.
- It should not be too dilute else it will not ferment nicely. We need semi thick batter.
- keep batter aside for 10 minutes, let it ferment.
- Take a small pan and heat 2 tsp oil in it.
- Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, cury leaves to it. Let it splutter. Turn off the flame.
- Take Idli stand box and fill a cup of water at the bottom of the box.
- Grease the Idli molds with oil. Do it with oil brush or finger tips. Should be done properly.
- Again give a mix to the batter and add eno just before pouring. You ll see batter has become light and airy.
- Molds should not be filled full as there will no space for idli to puff up.
- After adding eno, the molds should right away go into the box and microwave it for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes take out the stand and let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Check with the knife or toothpick if it is cooked and not sticking back to the knife or toothpick.
- Use spoon to take out the idlis.
- Now pour the tadka prepared under “To Temper”.
- Serve with your choice of chutney or ketchup.
This is the most simple recipe of idli. Try this and do not forget to share with people around you.