Raw or Improperly cooked Rajma or Red kidney beans can be toxic but well prepared beans are a healthy component of a well balanced diet. Beans are mainly composed of carbs and fiber but are also a great source of protein. They are among the richest source of plants based protein. This particular style of recipe goes really well with rice as well as naan. There are no side dishes needed when you have creamy curry Rajma along with rice for a comforting meal. Americans call this dish beans and rice. In Jamaica its called “Rice & Peas” and in the Spanish speaking world it’s known as “Arroz Con Frijoles”. A 100 gram serving of boiled Rajma contain about 140 calories, 5.7 grams of protein, 5.9 grams of fat and 18 grams of carbs.
Let’s get started..
1 cup Rajma (240ml) serving 2 people.
- 1 cup of Rajma soaked (6-7 hours)
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Ginger & Garlic paste
- 1 Green chilli
- 2 medium size Onion paste or finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (Haldi powder)
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder (Dhaniya powder)
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 Bay leaf crushed (Tej patta)
- 1 tsp Kasoori methi
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 2 tbsp olive oil or any other vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- Soak 1 cup beans overnight in water.
- Drain off the water. Pressure cook them with 3 cups of fresh water upto 3-4 whistles, check if getting properly mashed and keep it aside. Do Not drain.
- Heat up oil in a pan, add the ingredients listed under “To temper” and let it splutter.
- Now add finely chopped green chilli, ginger garlic paste, cook until it leaves the raw smell.
- Add the onion paste or chopped, cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender, turns golden brown.
- Further add tomato puree, sauté till it gets soften and skin begin to wrinkle.
- Time to add all the dry ingredients- Turmeric powder, Bay leaf, Coriander powder, Garam masala, Salt, kasoori methi. Stir until the oil leaves the paste.
- Add the cooked paste back in cooker and let it steam again for 1 whistle for the good blend of spices. Cook rajma with open lid if the gravy is not thick.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Rajma are ready to be served with rice or chapatti.
- Always use fresh beans as old beans take more time to cook.
- Add salt while cooking onions. They cook faster.
- Add red chilli powder in heated oil in beginning as it gives good colour.
- Except good aroma asafoetida helps in better digestion of food.
TRY TASTE ENJOY this recipe and Don’t forget to Like-Share-Comment on this post.