Matar Paneer is one of the popular North Indian recipes which is prepared in onion and tomato gravy, spiced up with some garam masala. This can be served with naan, poori, rice, chapatti. Adding fresh green peas gives a very good aroma to the dish. Matar paneer compliments menu for any occasion, be it family gatherings or weekend dinners.
Let’s Get Started:
200 grams paneer (cut into cubes), 1 cup green peas.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch ginger paste
- 1 green chilly chopped
- 2 medium size onion (finely blended)
- 3 tomatoes (puree)
- pinch of asefoetida
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilly powder
- fresh coriander leaves
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, place paneer cubes in it. Roast them to light brown color for 2-3 minutes. After roasting take out the cubes.
- Add a cup of peas into the same pan and cook it for a minute or two. Place with roasted cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add 1 tsp cumin seeds, asafoetida, ginger paste and chopped green chilli. Let it splutter.
- Now add blended onion in the pan, add some salt to it and cook onion until it turns golden brown.
- After onion paste is cooked, add tomato puree to it. Let it cook until there is no rawness.
- When masala starts leaving the oil, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp red chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Add 1/2 cup cream to the masala and cook until it starts simmering again. Cream gives a very good color and taste to it.
- Now pour a cup of water and keep stirring to prevent the cream from coagulate.
- Add roasted paneer and green peas to it, 1/2 tsp garam masala and coriander powder. Cover it with lid and cook for 4-5 minute.
- Turn off the flame. Matar Paneer is ready, garnish with coriander leaves.
TRY TASTE ENJOY this recipe and do subscribe to my blog.