karela Fry/Bitter Gourd Recipe
Bitter gourd is one the most healthy and easy stir fries which only requires some dry spices and easy to make for lunch or dinner main dish or sides. karela has a lot of health benefits though it tastes little bitter like it’s name but it can be made tangy and all the bitterness is gone with easy simple step. Fennel seeds used in this make it wonderfully flavourful. In this recipe you can also add sliced onion which will give more crispness and taste to it and it will taste less bitter, depends on personal taste and preference.
Let’s Get Started:
karela – 350 gm (washed and round chopped)
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seed powder (sounf)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/3 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Dry mango powder (amchur)
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl add chopped karela and some salt on it to reduce its bitterness. Mix it well and Keep it aside with cover on it for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins wash the karela with tap water and strain the water from it.
- Now in a pan heat 3 tbsp cooking oil, add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/3 tsp red chilli powder. Let it splutter.
- You can also add 1 small size onion sliced to it and then fry it. Onion will help to reduce the bitterness of karela.
- Add washed and strianed karela to the pan. Do not cover the pan.
- karela will take 6-8 minutes to cook and keep stirring it at regular intervals to prevent it from burning.
- After few minutes it will start turning brown and darker in colour.
- Now turn the flame low and add all the dry spices to it – 1/2 tsp fennel seed powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, 1/2 tsp dry mango powder and salt to taste. Give it a good mix.
- Cook everything for more 1-2 minute and then turn off the flame.
- karela is now cooked. Serve hot with paratha or chapatti.
Enjoy this easy and quick karela recipe and do subscribe to Explore Flavours for daily updates.