Kala Chana Masala/Black Chickpeas Gravy
A healthy Punjabi curry recipe prepared with black chick peas simmered in healthy, flavorful onion-tomato gravy and some spices. Each cup of kala chana provides 13 grams of dietary fiber. You can add canned or boiled kala chana to salads to increase the protein and fiber content. You can limit the sodium in kala chana recipe by adding less salt during cooking and by using low sodium canned chana instead of salted canned chana.
Let’s Get Started:
1 cup chana soaked for 5-6 hours.
- 2 medium size onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato chopped.
- 1 slit green chilly
- 1 inch ginger cut into long pieces
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp kasoori methi
- salt to taste
- Pressure cook soaked chana till 5-6 whistles by adding 2 cups of water, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, green chilly, Ginger pieces. Let it turn the color.
- Add finely chopped onion and salt. Saute well until it turns golden brown.
- Now add chopped tomato and cook for 5 min until it leaves the rawness.
- After it is done, add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt to it. Give it a mix.
- Time to add cooked chana along with water in the pan.
- If you want more gravy then add 1/2 cup water but If you don’t want much gravy then cook until you get the desired consistency.
- Let it cook with lid on.
- Check if it is all cooked. Sprinkle kasoori methi and fresh dhania on it.
- Serve hot with poori or chapatti.
TRY TASTE ENJOY this Indian style chana recipe.
Hi, In this recipe can i use amchur powder?
Hello Sushma, Tomato would make it tangy, but if you want more then you can add amchur powder to your taste.
I tried.It is awesome