Besan Ki Kadhi/Punjabi kadhi
Punjabi kadhi is a curry prepared with gram flour and sour yogurt by adding some spices to it. Vegetable fritters add more taste to it. Fritters can be mad of onion, potato, spinach or fenugreek leaves. It is often served with rice or roti. Using buttermilk in the making of kadhi instead of yogurt gives more sour tinge and adds more taste to it. It is a quick afternoon lunch curry and you don’t need a lot of ingredients to prepare this.
Let’s Get Started:
2 tbsp Gram Flour and 5 tbsp Yogurt.
Ingredients for kadhi batter:
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 tbsp Gram flour (besan)
- 5 tbsp Yogurt (dahi)
- pinch of Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 dry Red chilli
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 Inch Ginger chopped
- 1 medium size Onion chopped
- 1 Green chilli chopped
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
Making Kadhi Pakora:
- Take a bowl, add 3 tbsp besan, some salt, pinch of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp carom seeds (ajwain) and 2 small size sliced onion to it.
- You can also make Aalo pakora, Methi palak pakora totally up to your taste and preference. Steps are the same.
- Add water little by little to the batter according to the consistency. We don’t need a watery batter. It should be thick.
- Now heat a pan. Add good amount of oil in which pakoras dip in easily. When the oil is hot add 4-5 pakora at a time and cook them for a 1-2 minute.
- Once they turn brown red in color and all are done, take them out, turn off the flame and keep them aside.
- To prepare the kadhi batter, take a bowl, add 2 tbsp besan and 5 tbsp curd into it. Mix everything well so that there are no lumps in it.
- After mixing it, add 2 glass of water to the bowl, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and pinch of red chilli powder to it. Mix it again.
- Now heat a big pan or you can use cooker too. Add 2 tbsp oil and 1/2 tsp methi. Make sure to add methi first.
- When fenugreek seeds turn brown, add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, chopped ginger, pinch of asafoetida, chopped green chilli and dry red chilli to it and let everything cook.
- Once they are cooked, add chopped onion and wait till it turns golden brown. It will take a minute. After that add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp red chilli powder in the pan.
- When everything is cooked well, pour the liquid batter prepared in the bowl to the pan. Give it a mix.
- Allow it to boil. keep stirring it constantly until it comes to boil.
- When the curry comes to boil, turn flame to medium heat and let it cook for another 30-40 minutes till you get a desired consistency and there is no rawness in it.
- When kadhi is done, add salt and the pakoras prepared to it. Give it a mix again.
- Garnish kadhi with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice, chapatti or prantha.
- If you don’t have buttermilk or your yogurt is not sour, you can add pinch of citric acid to kadhi. It will give a sour taste to it.
TRY TASTE ENJOY this all time favorite Indian kadhi and do share your views in the comment section.
What brand noddles are used??
Hi sherry, these are just normal hakka noodles. Got it from No frills.