Also referred as Toor Dal/Tuvar Dal is an traditional Indian dish served with rich spices over rice. For vegetarian people this dal has rich protein level. Pigeon Peas is one of the main ingredient used in south Indian dish sambar. Tuvar Dal is a member of the legume family and this meal is not only delicious but has a number of health benefits. Arhar Dal contains folic acid an important vitamin for all women especially those planning to get pregnant. Folic acid is essential for fetal development and can help to prevent neural tube birth defects such as Spina Bifida. Legumes are an excellent source of carbs which is required for body energy. Complex carbs are recommended over simple carbs because of their increased nutritional values. This dal is low in calories so it is a very good substitute to reduce extra fat from your body and thus keeps you healthy.
Let’s get started..
1 cup dal (240 ml) serving 2 people with rice.
- 1 cup dal properly washed and drained
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger paste (Adrak Paste)
- 1 Green chilli
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (Haldi powder)
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder (Dhaniya powder)
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tbsp Olive oil or any other vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- Add dal in cooker with 3.5 cups of water and let it cook up to 3 whistles. Check if lentils seems soft and well mixed.
- Heat the pan with oil and add the ingredients mentioned under “To Temper” and let it cook.
- Now add ginger paste, slit green chilli until it changes colour.
- Time to add finely chopped onion and stir fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Now add all the dry masalas- Turmeric powder, Coriander powder, Garam masala, Salt. Let it blend.
- Switch of the flame, pour dal in the pan and give it a good mix.
- Garnish it with coriander.
- All set to be served with rice or chapatti.
- Add salt while cooking onions.
- For good colour add red chilli powder with cumin seeds.
TRY TASTE ENJOY this simple dal tadka recipe and Don’t forget to Like- Share-Comment on this recipe.